Wednesday, September 30, 2015

A new student review of The Prize: Tales from a Revolution by Lars D. H. Hedbor

BG posted a new student review of The Prize: Tales from a Revolution by Lars D. H. Hedbor. See the full review.

The Prize is an historical fiction. You hear news of the battles that take place, mixed with a nice fictional story. Compared to other Historical fiction I’ve read this one isn’t really for me. I prefer to be more up close to the historical events or at least learn a lot more about the time, place and the people.

The characters were wonderfully made and portrayed though, fitting perfectly in their time, place, and state. The book is in first person, written in Caleb Clark’s point of view, easy to read and simple to comprehend. It gives just the right amount of detail, not too much, not too little. I applaud the author’s ability to paint the mood, scenery and people in the story. The history is good; if you pay attention you can learn a good bit about the war, from a settler’s point of view. To me this book wouldn’t be my first choice of an historical fiction, due to the distance from the setting that most of the historical events take place.