Monday, June 15, 2015

A new student review of Wheels of Change by Darlene Beck Jacobson

Sweetfable posted a new student review of Wheels of Change by Darlene Beck Jacobson. See the full review.

I really enjoyed this book, from start to finish. I found myself swept up by the plethora of compelling characters, the interesting yet believable setting, and a story line I couldn’t resist. I especially loved how relatable the main character, Emily, is. She is passionate about fighting for justice, but doesn't alienate others in the process.

The historical morsels layered into the story make it all the more interesting. One of my favorite parts is the introduction of corn flakes to Emily’s life. It is interesting to see how this new food is a relief for Emily’s mother as this cereal has an advantage of not needing to be heated up to be enjoyable.

Both girls and boys will relate to this coming-of-age story set in the final days of Theodore Roosevelt's presidency. Along the way, children will learn many things about the way life used to be, and they will have a great time doing so.