Thursday, August 28, 2014

A new student review of Cameo by Tanille Edwards

snehayamsani posted a new student review of Cameo by Tanille Edwards. See the full review.

When I first picked this book up, I was excited to see chicklit cover the inner workings of high school. I definitely had high expectations for this book, but I was disappointed due to the following reasons below.

 

As I started to read, I was struck by how poorly written the novel was. Instead of enjoying the story, I was trying to keep up with all the mumbo jumbo the author had written. There was just so much slang like “dope” and “fly” that it made my head hurt. Don’t get me wrong, I know slang is used everyday, but I don’t think an excessive amount is necessary for a novel. The second thing I noticed was the very cheesy and confusing plot of the story. The novel takes has too many loops and turns that the plot almost surpasses itself. Almost. The characters, probably one of the only things that could save a book, were not even that interesting. They were underdeveloped and just as confusing as the plot.


I’m a very easy person to please, so when I tell you this book was not good, I mean it. There were so many times I wanted to just drop the book and pick up a different novel, yet I powered through. Maybe I didn’t like the book because it wasn’t young adult fiction, maybe not. I honestly have no idea; but if you do read this book, don’t say I didn’t warn you.