Wednesday, March 05, 2014

A new student review of Seeking the Storyteller by Jessica Walsh

ReesaOnFire posted a new student review of Seeking the Storyteller by Jessica Walsh. See the full review.

Seeking the Storyteller was definitely an intriguing story. It’s plot was great, subplots interesting, and mechanics good.  However this book lacked one key element that caused the book to fail. The key was organization.

Unfortunately the book, which had so much potential with a fantastic plot, interesting characters, and captivating subplots forming, did not have proper order.  I understand that perhaps the authors might have done this on purpose to reflect how, in life, things are hardly clear. But, this is a fictional book. The writing style, also, could use some work but it wasn’t terrible.

My biggest beef with the book was the revelation of Alix’s past.  Alix’s past is a huge part of the book, and personally, I thought that the authors' choice in explaining it left much to be desired. However, that is my opinion.

On the bright side, the ragtag team Walsh and Lawrence created of demons, humans, hunters and victims was fascinating. I kept on wanting more and more of it. One thing this book didn’t fail in (with the exception of Alix’s story) was subplot. Each subplot was great, and it made me wonder about those characters and their stories.

Overall for writing and style I give this book one star—it leaves much to be desired.

For creativity and originality I give this book four stars out of five. 

I recommend this book for fantasy lovers who don't mind a few rushed explanations.