Wednesday, September 04, 2013

A new student review of The Golden Day

aschoenfeldt posted a new student review of The Golden Day . See the full review.

Ursula Dubosarsky's The Golden Day proved to be a thought provoking, complex book that left me with more questions than answers. I am still haunted by the tragic innocence of the little girls, and the insidious chain of events that propel them into adulthood. The time period and setting were intruiguing, but I would have like more of an explanation on the event that sets the novel in motion: the hanging of the man on the morning of Miss Renshaw's disappearance. I enjoyed seeing the friendships blossom between the girls, especially Cubby and Icara, but some events were confusing, such as the death of Icara's mother. The ambiguous ending left me somewhat unsettled, but I would not hesitate to read this book again.