Friday, July 12, 2013

A new student review of Hattie Ever After by Kirby Larson

swimmer1430 posted a new student review of Hattie Ever After by Kirby Larson. See the full review.

It is fitting that I am reviewing Hattie Ever After, because Hattie Big Sky was one of the first books I ever reviewed on Flamingnet. I really enjoyed the predecessor to this novel and was excited to find out the author decided to write a sequel. Even though it's been so long since I read the first book, I was able to quickly jump right back into Hattie's story. I loved how brave and daring she is, especially moving to a big city to accomplish a pretty lofty dream: to be a reporter. Many women had trouble entering male-dominated fields, but Hattie's talent and gusto for writing allow her to join the ranks of women reporters. As for the story, a lot of the plot points that were suppoesd to be twists ended up being easily predicted, but that didn't take away from Hattie's character development. Fans of the first novel will be pleasantly surprised by Hattie Ever After and history buffs will find plenty of interesting factoids about the early twentieth century.