Tuesday, March 05, 2013

A new student review of The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the Titanic

dancechicka posted a new student review of The Watch That Ends the Night: Voices from the Titanic . See the full review.

I am really at a loss at how to describe this book.  It was stunning.  Amazing.  Heartbreaking.  Powerful.  It was all the same yet completely different.  This book was an emotional rollercoaster for me.   I’m usually an impassive reader, not really letting the words affect my emotions, but, somehow, this book broke that shell I built around myself.  I laughed with the first-class promenade and cried with the little child in the lifeboat that heard the endless moaning of the dying as they sank below the surface of the merciless ocean.  This novel was organized into stanzas, with a new character’s viewpoint at every page, which made it even more influential.  I was just so moved by this great piece of literature.  It changed me.  I felt like I was right there, felt like I could feel the terror of the passengers as the ship sank below the surface to its final resting place, felt the anguish of the few who made it to safety but lost their loved ones to the sea.  It made me realize how so many lives can be altered in just one moment, how many lives are already on the twisted path of fate.  There are a lot of characters in the novel, which can be confusing, but you get the hang of it by the middle of the story.  This book was wonderful and I would highly recommend to anybody searching for a good read.

                “We could still make out the Titanic’s brightly lit outline......And then it was gone altogether.  Then the moans.  There was no one voice that stood out.  From that distance it was just a horrific roar.”

                I would recommend this book for ages eight and up because it is quite a long book and a higher reading level is required.  This book has no profanity or any compromising situations.

                Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be one of the doomed on the RMS TitanicThe Watch That Ends the Night by Allan Wolf will give you just that!