Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Lexie by Audrey Couloumbis



In the novel Lexie, by Newberry Honor Winning Author, Audrey Couloumbis, Lexie is going through some tough times.  Daddy and Mommy just went through a divorce, so this summer, Lexie is going to the shore with only Daddy; sort of.  Daddy invited his girlfriend, Vicky, without telling Lexie.  Lexie doesn t like Vicky s children at first.  It s obvious why.  Ben is a moody teenager, and Harris is a three year old that thinks he is a truck.  In this novel, Audrey Couloumbis  is trying to say that if you really get to know someone, you ll end up liking them.  First impressions are important, but you need to give them a chance.
 In my opinion, this novel was pretty good.  There were some spots where I got bored though.  The descriptions that the author adds are enough to give you the picture, without overwhelming you.   The setting was well planned out; at points I felt like I was actually there.  Also, the characters in this story were good people.  At times they were a little boring, but sometimes the things that they did made me giggle. I really do  believe in them as people; I think that if the characters were different, I wouldn't enjoy the book as much.  The authors voice is of the main character; a ten year old girl.  I feel like that's a thoughtful way to write.  One thing that bugged me though, was that Lexie kept calling her parents Mommy and Daddy.  Also, the details that the author needed to add, didn't make any sense for a kid to be saying, or thinking about.  The story ended well, but I wanted just a chapter more.  Over all, this book was a great easy read.  I recommend it to many other young teens.  Audrey Couloumbis is a fantastic author.

Reviewer Age:12
Reviewer City, State and Country: Mendon, Vemont USA