Thursday, December 01, 2011

War and Watermelon by Rich Wallace


War and Watermelon is the story of a 12 year old boy in 1969. He is going through such hardships as the Vietnam War and the threat of his older brother getting drafted. And then there' s the absolute terror of starting Middle School and having to deal with girls. But in the midst of all this, he and his brother go to the legendary Woodstock to see all the acts they have been listening to on the radio for so long. But what they take away from the concert is not the musical experience, but the love and hope they find there.
I thought that this book was a quick, easy read. I would probably recommend this book to someone younger than I.  I liked the topic because you don' t hear very much about Woodstock. I also thought that all the stuff about the best friend and trying to get girls was really funny. Overall, it wasn' t really my type of book, but I still enjoyed it.

Reviewer Age:14
Reviewer City, State and Country: Fairfax, VA USA