Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Lunch-Box Dream

The book Lunch-Box Dream is about a young boy named Bobby who is taking a road trip with his family. They are planning to visit various Civil War battle sites. Things don’t go quite according to plan, and after an accident, they are forced to take a bus back home. Here, they see first-hand the horrors of racism and segregation. This work of historical fiction is set in the late 1950s, a time of racial turmoil.


Lunch-Box Dream has a very good setting, and I think the author does a very good job of describing many of the places they went. I didn't really like the writing style of this book. The way it was written didn't keep me interested in the story. I felt it was dull. The viewpoints switched between many different characters, and I often wondered how a certain chapter was relevant to the rest of the story. I didn't feel like I knew the characters very well, and most of them didn't seem to have a unique personality. The ending didn't seem to have a climax, and the book ended rather abruptly. The one main flaw of the book was the changing viewpoints, which often didn't make sense with the rest of the story. I did think the author was very good at describing things that the characters saw throughout the book. It was a nice view into the lives of people during that time period.

Reviewer Age:16

Reviewer City, State and Country: Otsego, MN USA