Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Arisa by Natsumi Ando

The story begins with a promise between twin sisters, Arisa and Tsubasa. Then we enter the world of Tsubasa. She is 14 and has the nickname 'Demon Princess' due to her aggressive behavior toward people who have committed wrongs. She has been separated from her sister, but now is her first chance in three years to see her again. Arisa has written letters to Tsubasa for years detailing her days apart from her, but there is more to Arisa than just those letters.

Arisa sees how much her sister wishes to be her so she grants her wish and lets her be her for a day. Only after Tsubasa returns with the wonderful news of how that day went Arisa tells her that she doesn't "know their secrets or mine" just before she attempts to commit suicide. Now it is up to Tsubasa to act as Arisa and find out the secret of class 2-B.

I love Arisa. The protagonist, even though she is a twin, is so different from her sister and that's how real twins are. Tsubasa is so into justice that it is her mission to protect others. I love how open-ended the author left the book because now I have to read the next one.

I really relate to Arisa. She has a heavy burden to bear no matter how perfect her life seems. I laughed and cried because I know how the characters must have felt. Imagine people hating you so much you want to commit suicide.

Overall, I found this book very moving and powerful and I would recommend it to anyone.

Reviewer Age:20
Reviewer City, State and Country: Arizona City, Arizona USA