Monday, December 20, 2010

Gwenhwyfar by Mercedes Lackey

Gwenhwyfar is a book written about King Arthur's Queen, Gwenivere. It is split into 3 parts; Princess, Warrior, and Queen, each representing a different stage in her life. Gwenhwyfar, Gwen, is the daughter of King Lleud and grows up a princess, but what she really wants is to be a warrior. Her father finally lets her and she begins one of the happiest and most successful times of her life which ends when she is arranged to marry King Arthur whom she has never met. She is unhappy with him, but knows her duties as a king's daughter includes what's best for the people. But it appears her evil sister, Little Gwen, who looks so much like Gwenhwyfar that she could be her twin even though they are a year apart, does not know her duties and will do whatever it takes to get Gwen out of the way.

This book is all about King Arthur's times, which I absolutely love, so I was very excited to read it, and was not dissapointed. There was a huge part that confused me however, and this might help clarify it to people: Gwenhwyfar is the main character, and her sister's name is Gwenhwyfach, also known as Little Gwen because of her resemblance to Gwen. This puzzled me for the first few chapters because I did not notice a difference in the names at first so I thought they were the same character. There is also a lot of other people with similar namesᄒGynath, Gwydion, Gwalchmai, Gwalchafed, Gwynfor, and Agrwn to name a few. Also, if you are hoping for Queen Gwenhwyfar, you will not get to her until the last third of the book. And lastly, I want to warn you, in this book she has sexual intercourse and describes it. Despite all that, I found that I enjoyed the book a lot and it kept me very entertained. I could see it as a great movie. Please read this book, I would highly recommend it.
In this book, Gwen has sexual intercourse with two men, while being married to one of them, and most likely a third man, though she is not sure because she was drugged. Also she is described quite a few times by herself and others as being bred. &the only thing that kept it from being rape was my consent& I was breeding. He stayed only long enough to put a child in me and then could not leave me fast enough.


Also, a few characters are seen using black magic to bring men to bed with them and other stuff like that.
 
Reviewer Age:16
Reviewer City, State and Country: Gearhart, Oregon United States