Friday, October 09, 2009

The Day of the Pelican by Katherine Paterson

Meli Leshli lives in Kosovo with her Baba, Mamma, and siblings. Her life is going well; she has a best friend in school, a soft bed to sleep in, and does well in school. Kosovo is under attack from the Serbians, but all the fighting seems so far away from Meli and her family.

Suddenly, Meli's easy life isn't so great anymore. Her family must band together to go on a difficult journey to escape the Serbians. Meli and her family face many hardships and are soon living in a camp with other refugees. When Meli is fearing for the worst, her Baba gives the news that just might change her life forever...

The Day of the Pelican was an excellent book. Paterson's word choice was great and the pages flowed from one to the next. I enjoyed reading about a time and place I never have before, and although it was very sad at times, I felt that there was always a spark of hope in every inch of this novel. Meli was a character I wanted to know and her family was one I would love to be a part of. The writing was powerful in a way that made me want to help the Leshi's and other people like them. It's scary to read about how horrible life is for some people, while my life seems so perfect in comparison. All in all I would highly recommend The Day of the Pelican, Meli's story will stick with me for years to come.


Reviewer Age:15

Reviewer City, State and Country: Hightstown, New Jersey USA