Thursday, May 21, 2009

The Mousehunter by Alex Milway

Emiline is a well-known mousekeeper who has always wanted to go to sea. She gets the opportunity almost by accident while visiting the docks. She volunteers to capture a Sharpclaw Mouse onboard privateer Devlin Drewshank's ship, and he asks her to stay on as his own mousehunter. On their quest to capture the pirate Mousebeard, they encounter fearsome storms, giants, an eccentric forgetful inventor, one near hanging, and all manner of mice. Will Emiline ever be normal again?

Though Mousebeard was a bit of a clich and I found the ending too abrupt to be satisfying, my overall response to the book was very positive. The writing was effective. I could easily see the setting if I closed my eyes and the vocabulary was not difficult. Hopefully the author will write continuing adventures of these interesting characters.

Reviewer Age:13

Reviewer City, State and Country: Lusby, Maryland USA