Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Inchworm by Ann Kelley

Young Gussie is a twelve year old girl and already she has endured more stress and life threatening situations than anyone should have to go through. Back in the hospital, Gussie's transplant went smoothly and she now has a new heart and lungs; although they seem foreign, they are very healthy. Her color has returned and she is delighted at the sight of being a normal young girl. She can breathe right again. Nightmares come and go. Friends come and go. She misses her cats deeply. She is going through changes and she begins to wonder if these new organs are what are making her think and feel differently. Her doctor and the pamphlets said that she wouldn't have any characteristics from the donor, but she begins to wonder. It finally comes time for Gussie to go home and she hopes she will be able to attend school. The rest of her life will be full of tending to her new organs so they won't be rejected. All around her are these changes and she is only twelve. The problems that seemed so precious in the beginning are now long gone and new ones she never thought of are arising.

I found that this book was very well-written. I think that the age group for this book is appropriate for ages between 10 and 12. The character in the story is twelve years of age but I feel as if the author is portraying her far more mature than she is. Her words are not mature but her vocabulary is very developed. This book was not a book that I could stick to. I found myself distracted at times. Although I wanted to sit down and read it, I could not force myself. I would not recommend this series of books for anyone with advanced reading abilities.

Reviewer Age:16

Reviewer City, State and Country: , PA USA