Monday, August 11, 2008

The House of Djinn by Suzanne Fisher Staples

Honor, tradition, and expectations. When Mumtaz's Baba
dies everything she knows and understands is changed. She
does have a mother, though she may be hidden away from the
world. And she also has a pre-arranged marriage to her
American cousin Jameel. The marriage must be quick, as
soon as possible. What happens if Jameel and Mumtaz's
desire for a future that isn't planned out for them is
stronger then their desire to please their family and
uphold the expectations placed on them by the Amirazi
tribe?

I really liked the House of Djinn. It put into
perspective what teenagers' life in other parts of the
world may be like. I also liked the surprises that
appeared in the story, like the possibility of Mumtaz
going to Cholistan with her mother. It was surprisingly
easy to fallow, something I wasn't expecting after reading
the summary on the back of the book. This book makes me
feel as if I am in the same room as Mumtaz. Its as if I'm
there with her, and I understand what she's feeling and
what is going through her mind. This is a great book to
read as you are getting ready to start school, and it will
interest almost any reader under the age of twenty-
one.

Reviewer Age:13

Reviewer City, State and
Country: Casa Grande, Arizona United States