Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Book of Names by D. Barkley Briggs

Two brothers, Haydn and Ewan, have to deal with more than
the loss of their mother. One night while they were
sleeping, Ewan had a dream that called him to an arch they
discovered, which turned out to be a portal to a new land
of Karac Tor. His brother followed him into the portal.
They met several people in this new land. Flogg the gnome,
Sorge the warrior monk, Asandra the mirling, and several
other characters become their allies. The boys discover
that this land is slowly falling to the evil sorceress,
Nemesia, and that they were Called to stop her. Working
bravely for the defeat of Nemesia, they face revenge,
kidnapping, deceit, and mysteries that aren't so easy to
solve.

As I started to read The Book of Names I was
overcome with how unique and awesome it was. I can't
exactly put my finger on what was so amazing, but this
book possesses strong qualities that are wonderful for a
fantasy. The characters are extremely diverse in
personality, and there are several with great character
foil. I love the vocabulary because it made me pay
attention better to the words instead of just flying
through the story. The plot is extremely well-developed
through the entire story. However, many events happen near
the end that I couldn't comprehend as much because they
didn't have enough detail. Overall, The Book of Names was
a very good read and I recommend it to any fantasy
lover.

Reviewer Age:14

Reviewer City, State and
Country: Carlisle, Pennsylvania United States of America