Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Trouble by Gary D. Schmidt

For as long as Henry can remember, his life has been overshadowed by his seemingly flawless older brother, Franklin. All that changes when Trouble strikes and Henry’s family is stressed to the breaking point. So, Henry throws himself into an adventure, one that he had planned to take with Franklin long before the accident. The thing is Franklin won’t be coming with him; Henry is determined to go alone. So with a pack of supplies, a ragged dog, and ambition to spare, Henry sets out to climb the notorious Mt. Katahdin and escape the Trouble that bombarded his home. What he doesn’t know, though, is that Trouble could be around every bend, and Henry can’t face his future until he’s faced his past.

This sharp, real novel will take your breath away. From riveting action that will have you on the edge of your seat, to the comfortable friendships that develop along the way, Trouble is a terrific novel definitely worth reading. Even though I found the first few chapters a bit boring (and somewhat confusing), the story quickly picked up its pace and swept me away. I loved that I couldn’t tell what was coming. The surprises in the plot caught me completely off guard and, once I was into the book, I couldn’t put it down. This story will appeal to both boys and girls, and I recommend it to anybody who has ever had an encounter with Trouble. For an interesting look at perspective and knowing the whole story, pick up Trouble today!

Rating:8

Reviewer Age:14

Reviewer City, State and Country: Tipp City, OH USA