Friday, July 06, 2007

A Field Guide to High School by Marissa Walsh

Andie has just finished eighth grade and will be starting high school in the fall. The good news: Her super-popular valedictorian big sister, Claire, is graduating and won't be there to put Andie in the shadows. The bad news: Her super-popular valedictorian big sister, Claire, is graduating and won't be there to help her. But Claire hasn't forgotten Andie. For her little sister, Claire has put together a guide that covers everything a freshman needs to know but didn’t even think to ask. Andie reads every word and even shares it with her best friend, Bess. But sometimes they wonder if Yale-bound Claire got everything right! In this hilarious and honest look at one girl's heroic attempt to conquer high school, readers will get all the benefit of Claire's wisdom about making those four years more than bearable--and absolutely memorable. Fortunately, high school happens only once in a lifetime.

I absolutely loved A Field Guide to High School. From start to finish it was definitely a page turner. It was an informative book that had many humorous, memorable, and heartfelt moments. I liked all the characters in the book, from 'Normal' Andie to her valedictorian big sister Claire, the writer of the Field Guide. I loved the author's style of writing. It was neat how I was reading a book that the characters were reading at the same time. I think that is what made this novel even better. The vocabulary in the book wasn't hard at all, very appropriate for young adults. I would recommend this book to every girl (and maybe even boy) that is nervous about starting a new school. This book would make them feel a lot better about beginning high school knowing that other people feel scared and nervous too. The only things I didn't like about this novel were that it seemed too short (I loved it so much that I wanted it to keep going!) and I really wanted to see how high school turned out for Andie. I definitely wish I had this guide before I started high school!

Content: This book has some profanity that may seem inappropriate to younger readers.

Rating (0 - 10 scale): 9

Reviewer Age: 15
Reviewer City, State and Country: Leopold, Missouri United States