Friday, July 06, 2007

The Big One-Oh by Dean Pitchford

Charley Maplewood has never been one for parties--that would require friends, which he doesn’t have. But now that he’s turning ten--the big one-oh--he decides to throw a birthday party for himself, complete with a “House of Horrors” theme and a big birthday cake. Of course things don’t work out as Charley plans. In trying to make friends, he ends up inviting the class bully Cougar to come, and that’s before he ruins the cake and burns down the garage. By the time of the big day, Charley’s home really is a house of horrors. Will Charley be able to pull it all together before the big one-oh becomes the big OH-NO?

The Big One-Oh was an extremely hilarious book. From start to finish, I found myself laughing out loud. I even finished The Big One-Oh in one sitting! This is only Dean Pitchford's first book, but I was very impressed. It had a really great plot and orignal, funny characters. Even though this book was meant for younger readers, I really enjoyed it and think other older readers would like it too. The Big One-Oh gets a big one-oh from me. Too bad I wasn't invited to Charley's party!

Rating (0 - 10 scale): 10

Reviewer Age: 15
Reviewer City, State and Country: Leopold, Missouri USA