Monday, July 09, 2007

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

Tessa has been diagnosed with leukemia, and doesn't have much longer to live. So, to take advantage of the time she has left, she makes a list of all the things she wants to do before she dies. Enlisting the help of her friend, Zoey, Tessa tries things she's never dreamed of doing before, like breaking the law and trying drugs. But as her leukemia progresses, Tessa things about the more important things in life. She helps her parents get back together and she falls in love for the first time and she really begins to appreciate the everyday things in life.

Reading this book makes you realize how great everyday things are and that we shouldn't take them for granted. But the novel wasn't what I expected it to be. I was hoping for it to be inspirational, like Lurlene McDaniel books. But instead I didn't really like the characters and I had to force myself to get through the book. The story wasn't interesting enough to keep me wanting to read more, but I did manage to get to the end. And while I understood the point of the ending, it was a bit confusing so I tended to skim through that section rather than read through it. Overall, this book was touching, but not something for an everyday read.

Content: There are some passages about sex in the book, so it's definately for older readers.

Rating (0 - 10 scale): 5

Reviewer Age: 20
Reviewer City, State and Country: Philadelphia, PA USA