Wednesday, June 13, 2007

In the Serpent's Coils by Tiffany Trent

Corrine has been having nightmares. In them, a mysterious and frightening man called "The Captain" has been calling to her, and soon she begins to see him when she's awake, too. When her uncle sends her to a decripit boarding school in the South, she hopes to have escaped the man and her dreams . . . but soon she is caught up in a tumult of intrigue and magic. And it's up to her to stop it.

I can't quite figure out whether I liked this book or not. I applaud the author's choice of the book's post Civil War setting and her creative choices of names (I was especially fond of "Corrine"). It had an engaging plot and characters, but was also dark and rather creepy. Perhaps it was a bit more gothic than most of the fantasy novels I'm used to reading. I'm pretty sure I'll be picking up the next book in the series, though. I look forward to finding out more about Corrinne, her friends, and the mysterious world of the Fey.

Rating (0 - 10 scale): 6

Reviewer Age: 16
Reviewer City, State and Country: Moscow, ID USA