Sunday, December 18, 2005

The Dark Flight Down by Marcus Sedgwick

In the Dark Flight Down, Boy has survived while his old master Valerian, a powerful magician, is dead. He is saved by Kepler, Valerian’s enemy. In Kepler’s possession is The Book, the most powerful and dangerous thing in the world. And the Emperor Frederick wants it to become immortal. Boy is kidnaped by the imperial guards and taken to the palace, and it’s up to Kepler and his friend, Willow to save him. In the palace, he finds himself in danger from the Phantom, a creature housed in the palace. In time, Boy finds out the truth about his past and it’s up to him and Willow to find a way to escape.

I thought that this book was really interesting. I haven’t read a good horror book in a while, so it was a nice change. I actually didn’t know that there was a prequel to The Dark Flight Down, but I’m curious to check it out now. I loved the setting of the book and the characters were interesting too. Once I started reading, I wanted to find out about Boy’s past. This may seem like it’s for younger readers, but everyone should give this a try!

Rating (0 - 10 scale): 8
Reviewer Age: 19
Reviewer City, State and Country: Philadelphia, PA USA